Costa Rica Dream: Pura Vida goes back to its roots!!!
“Establish culturally relevant churches to the beach communities of Costa Rica & beyond”
“Bring Christ to people one authentic relationship at a time.
Be Disciples and make Disciples of Christ.
Be a blessing to our Community.
Depend on the Holy Spirit for everything.”
Purpose: Why Costa Rica?
Tourism, foreign influence and money have impacted these beach communities in a negative way, creating “sin cities” where prostitution, drugs and violence are the norm.
Legalistic church tradition and lack of resources have led to stagnated congregations who intentionally do not reach out to their neighbors who are unlike themselves.
The Gospel message will never change, but the ways to communicate it do. We will never compromise the message of salvation through faith in Jesus’ sacrifice and resurrection.
However, we want to meet people exactly where they are in their life and deliver a message of love and hope in Christ in a way that is real to them.
“Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel that I may share in its blessings” 1 Corinthians 9:19-23
Ways we want to serve:
- Weekly worship service in Esterillos & Jaco (English and Spanish) (This once we have enough home groups to have weekly celebrations)
- Weekly Homegroup seeker friendly (English and Spanish) Esterillos-Jaco-Hermosa and other coastal communities
- Coffee shop office hours in Jaco:
- approachable and informal way to encourage people to talk to a pastor
- Christian Surfer Esterillos and support of Christian Surfers Jaco by providing a save place for them to send the people they reached
- Kids Club Esterillos – a weekend kids outreach based on building relationships
- Leadership Training Development for mature Christians (English and Spanish)
- Counseling and restoration (walking alongside listening) for those coming out of prostitution and drug addiction or just having a bad day
- Being an asset to the community in any possible way– often the church seeks help from the community we want to be a church that gives to the community. We believe that the church must have a positive influence in the community to believers and nonbelievers alike
- Empowering and caring for the future servants (leaders)
- Bridging cultural gaps
- Beach Camp for underprivileged inner-city children (twice a year)
Note: We are using Cell Church Principles for this Project:
- Priesthood of all believers
- Leadership development
- Exponential growth
- Cell/ Celebration
- Emphasis on relational evangelism
- Multi-cultural model
- Better use of financial resources
We acknowledge that one day we will be before God to give an account of the souls he entrusted into our care.
We will be accountable to the National Superintend for Free Methodist.
We will be accountable to our Fellow US missionary Patrick Barret.
We will be accountable to our fellow Leaders. We want to lead as a team not as solo Pastor.
We will give an honest bi-monthly report our US supporters and praying partners.
We will be accountable to the Santa Barbara FMC.
We will be accountable to the FM Southern California Conference.
We are seeking the accountability of the Free Methodist World Missions.
- For our family. That we can be living examples of Christ’s love.
- For the harvest that God has prepared.
- That our ears can be attuned to His voice.
- That the coastal communities are transformed.
- That God lifts up local leaders.
- That Jesus’ message of love and hope will spread like wildfire!
If you want to support this non-profit ministry and be a blessing to the people of Costa Rica, send your tax deductible donation to Pura Vida Church, 1435 Cliff Drive- Santa Barbara- CA 93109 (Memo: Costa Rica)